BACHELOR IN PHARMACY
Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharm) is a four-year undergraduate program in which students study the methods and process of preparing drugs and how does the dispensing of medicine and drugs take place. Anyone who aspires to be a pharmacist today, it is mandatory for them to undertake this course so that they have thorough and in-depth knowledge of the science of the medicine. The four year duration of the course is mainly divided into 8 semesters, includingtheoretical coursework and practical sessions. B. Pharm imparts useful knowledge about biochemical science and healthcare business. During the coursework the students have to perform various experiment to help them understand the concept better and gain applied knowledge.
10+2 conducted by the respective state/central government authorities recognized as equivalent to 10+2 examination by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) with English as one of the subjects and Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (P.C.M) and/or Biology (P.C.B / P.C.M.B.) as optional subjects individually// three year Diploma in pharmacy (D. Pharm.)
Course duration: 4 Years
Human anatomy and physiology-I Theory
Pharmaceutical analysis-I Theory
Pharmaceutical inorganic chemistry Theory
Communication skills Theory
Remedial Biology/ Remedial Mathematics Theory
Human anatomy and physiology-I Practical
Pharmaceutical analysis-I Practical
Pharmaceutical inorganic chemistry Practical
Communication skills Practical
Remedial Biology Practical
Human anatomy and physiology-II Theory
Pharmaceutical organic chemistry-I Theory
Computer application in Pharmacy- Theory
Environmental Sciences- Theory
Human anatomy and physiology-II Practical
Pharmaceutical organic chemistry-IPractical
Computer Application in Pharmacy- Practical
Frequently Asked Questions
- Pharm or Bachelor of Pharmacy is a 4-year bachelor’s degree course and is mainly pursued by people who want to open their own pharmacy store or join the industry for research purposes. One must have cleared your 10+2 with science subjects such as PCM, PCB, or PCMB along with English as a compulsory subject in order to be eligible for admission to B. Pharm program.
- Pharm is a career-oriented course and if you aspire to be a pharmacist, it is mandatory for you to pursue this course and build skills and knowledge on medicines. The key B. Pharm subjects covered in the course curriculum focus on teaching aspects of medicines, drugs, their chemical structure, formulation, etc.
Admission to B. Pharm course is often of the basis of entrance exams. Some of these entrance exams are NEET, BITSAT, MHTCET, and others.
The B. Pharm eligibility criteria are as mentioned below:
- Candidates should have passed 10+2 examinations with English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Mathematics.
- Students possessing 10+2 qualification from non-formal based schooling such as NIOS and state-based open schooling are not eligible for the B. Pharm course.
- Students should complete the age of 17 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission to the B. Pharm course.
- Candidates who have completed the D. Pharm course from a PCI (Pharmacy Council of India) approved institution. This is lateral admission in the second /third semester of B Pharm course.
- Candidates who have cleared B Pharm Entrance Examslike MET, BITSAT, NIPER JEE, KCET etc.
Bachelor of Pharmacy is a popular professional course among science students. A person with a B. Pharm degree earns an average salary of INR 2.5-4 lakh annually. Pharmacy graduates can get jobs primarily in government sectors such as Food & Drug Administration, Pharmacies, Health Centers, Medical Dispensing Stores etc.
- After pursuing B. Pharm, students are placed in various national and international drug research companies in India and abroad.
- One can get a license from the State Pharmacy Council also to open a chemist shop and do this business.
- Many international drug research companies also hire students after B. Pharm like Novartis, Cipla, Baxter, Abbott, Novo Nordisk, GlaxoSmithKline, etc. in a variety of fields.
B Pharm is one of the job-oriented programs in India for science students. Diverse job opportunities are available in the government and private sector after successfully completing B. Pharm program, majorly in pharmaceutical firms, biotechnology firms, hospitals, etc. Average starting salary after B. Pharm is better than the average starting salary after B. Sc. in general. Therefore, it can be said that it is a great course for students interested to study the discipline of pharmacy and pharmaceutical science.